The Project Space
The project space at the Substation is the focal point for Limbo’s exhibition programme. It appears to be in transition: gallery lighting and whitened walls contrast with the imposing industrial structure of the room, where the transformers, rectifiers and switchgear once stood. Limbo takes inspiration from this aesthetic, aiming to bring different histories and practices together in one place.
The space (L15.5m x W5.5m x H4.2m) is available for hire to artists and organisations making appropriate proposals for its use, with discounts available for students and Limbo studio holders. Limbo is a keen supporter of emerging artistic practice across a range of disciplines.
For further information on hiring the project space seeor email
Limbo currently has six artist studios of various sizes, ranging from £92.50pcm to £135pcm. They are on the first floor, accessible via an outdoor staircase. Studio holders are provided with wifi access and receive discounts when hiring the ground floor project space.
Studios are let to fine artists following an application process. Applications can be made at any time; LIMBO maintains a waiting list of artists seeking studio space.
Applications for studio space must include:
• Visual material (5 images max) and/or DVD (5 mins length max)
• A short statement of practice
• A CV
A selection process will follow application, with LIMBO’s directors and studio manager making the final decision on the allocation of vacant space. To apply, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Substation is centrally located in Margate, just off the High Street and a two-minute walk from the harbour. Margate is on the North East coast of Kent and just a two-hour ferry ride from France.
The building dates back to 1849, when it was apparently erected and functioning as coach house, stables, wash house and storehouse for Thomson and Son Brewers. In 1902 the property was sold for a mere £1,598.2s.9d to the Isle of Thanet Electric Tramways and Lighting Company and became part of a significant social and economic change, providing communication in the form of light, power and traction. High voltage alternating current from the generating station at nearby St Peters was passed through a series of step-down transformers and finally converted to DC using mercury arc rectifiers. This direct current was used to power an extended tramline and to provide lighting and domestic electricity for parts of Margate.
Use of DC for domestic consumers was unusual and potentially dangerous, but this spare capacity brought early access to electric power to the population of Margate. During the night the generators were shut down and a massive bank of batteries with “265 Tudor Cells” provided power for the early morning and late night trams, as well as for domestic lighting (the generators at St Peters were also shut down overnight). This arrangement lasted into the 1920s when demand for domestic and industrial power at night became too great. When the tramlines were finally closed down in the late 1930s the Substation continued to provide DC power to Dreamland amusement park until it converted to AC in the 1970s.
The substation equipment now sits outside at the front of the building in the space previously occupied by a lean-to veranda.